While going through my usual doze of news & blog posts this afternoon, I learnt about this firm which I believe would do phenomal in the days to come. Blake Mycoskie voyage across Argentina & his passion & willingness to help who are less luckier than you and me resulted in launch of TOMS. The firm is not just a usual new Shoe/T-shirt selling venture...by adding a strong cohesive community element, TOMS certainly distinguishes itself from any other Shoe selling company I have come across (Nike does some good work too but thats the usual CSR stuff)
The way it works is for every pair of shoes you buy, the company donates a pair to a child in need(Yes they actually do) . Now the point where it gets more interesting is the customers can actually travel to Buenos Aires and hand deliver the shoes themselves. I love the whole idea for I think that by participating:
- You are letting the kids in person know that they have an external aid around - makes you feel a good & noble person inside.
- You get in touch with a bunch of people who wish to help the needy and I bet the experience leaves this "community" of people charged up & motivated.
- You can even upload your picture later on TOMS's Website being viewed by thousands of folks everyday - I am sure you agree that spotting your picture on a website other than your own sure makes you feel good.
- The first thing I noticed on TOMS Website was "COLORS" and lots of them. To me colors have always been associated with fun & play. So I hope the Volunteer programme adds the element of fun (for good) which we all need in our otherwise ever busy existence.
- As a consumer your mind gets a true "two for the price of one" satisfaction too :)
What a nice way to serve the community and get attention of social media & consumers at the same time.One thing is for sure - My next BIG shopping spree has to include a TOMS pair for sure ;)
Meanwhile....Keep Cheering those around you !
"Changing a Life begings with a Single Step Indeed" (TOMS WebSite)