Thursday, November 08, 2007

Halloween Effect...!

Yale is an institution known far and wide for its love of tradition. My visit to Woosley Hall to attend Yale Symphony Orchestra’s during Halloween made me realize that Halloween means much more than exhibit of Creative Costumes...! For most of us (me in particular) Halloween conjures up vivid images of ghosts, flying witches, grinning pumpkins, youngsters roaming around in caparisoned experience and the most striking of all oodles of party time...! This being my first Halloween in US, I was pretty excited and learnt about this concert which is popularly known as Yale Symphony Orchestra. The special part of this concert is the tradition of presenting a Yale-themed comedic silent film which is prepared by Yalies - embodying the spirit of Halloween.

This time the silent-film was was based on "Harry Potter" theme and circumvented around life of a new student who joins Yale. The film was accompanied by orchestral music and the multimedia extravaganza was an amazing thing to watch 'n' experience. Sporty Halloween Costumes adorned by performers, outrageous pranks performed by film actors & the "jugalbandi" add more fun to the coherent event. Yet again, "Yale" University with its majestic buildings, towers, lawns, courtyards, walkways, gates, and arches with architectural styles ranging from New England Colonial to High Victorian Gothic amazed me on Halloween Night. I must say (based on inputs I received from some students & pamphlets) that in addition to providing students the opportunity to perform & audiences (New Haven residents in particular) the opportunity to enjoy, the Yale Symphony Orchestra also inspires several smaller orchestral ensembles in and around New Haven. (Hope my friends will accompany me in the next YSO concert :))

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always , every post of this blog is a good piece of learning for me.Don't know much about Symphony orchestra , but my li'l dedication towards musics allows me to guess the depth of this in the musica world; and that too when it imbibed the halloween effect , I can very imagine the greatness.Good post!!

Anonymous said...

As always , every post of this blog is a good piece of learning for me.Don't know much about Symphony orchestra , but my li'l dedication towards music allows me to guess the depth of this in the musica world; and that too when it imbibed the halloween effect , I can very well imagine the greatness.Good post!

Isolated soul said...

Okk...
I've been a silent reader till now.. but for this one time I plan to give it a go and throw in some lines as comments.
Blogger has started the topic in reference to Halloween, I was really excited when I he mentions to tell something new about halloween and its history. This is my fourth halloween here and like every year I kept circling around the question what is it about, why do kids want to dress up like ghosts, why r all scary characters start surfacing frm everyones mind, why do ppl watch horror movies (e.g. Saw release its new series every halloween).... many many many questions. Bottomline I always wondered why would someone give so much respect to scary creatures who once upon a time used to haunt me to death when i was a kid.
Maybe I was expecting too much from this post, to my surprise none of my questions were answered and ofcourse added a few more to my list :D. But what I came across is the bloggers interest in various aspects of life, this was the first ever article I read which described symphony in relation to halloween, i still doubt how would harry potter contribute to the history of halloween, but still this is a total different discussion altogether. Expressing Halloween in a musical fashion is one of a kind combination I came across and I should say I was preety impressed on the way it was presented. I might not have got what I came looking here for, but for sure I got to know a new perspective to halloween.
Good Job....

Anonymous said...

it is a unique presentation about the imaginary world !
we creat what we imagine!
very interesting & creative !